Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Norman Kendall Harris

Grandpa Harris
Great-Grandpa "Orman"
Fleet
August 3, 1927-January 10, 2012
My grandpa got to hug my grandma last night, I'm sure they are so happy together.
That also means he has left this earth and we will miss him so much.
He has survived so many health problems for so long, but pancreatic cancer won. Thankfully he is not in pain and now running free.
Anthony and Grandpa
My grandpa had so many funny things that were only his!
"I'm gonna slap your neck and ears"
"Oh hes from grouse creek"
"You little whelp"
"Well Mose" (his nickname for me)
"Pasqual" (nickname for Michael)
"Zip, Ra-ra-ra-ramon, Is, Pup, Horse" (I don't think he called many people by their real names)
Samuel and Grandpa
He drove a stick shift by completely bypassing second and fourth gears, sometimes just staying in third the whole time.
He loved to hurt our knees. There is that spot on your leg they he could find instantly and squeeze until it hurt.
Oliver and Grandpa (and Grandma Ev)
He loved the Jazz, the Niners, and BYU (I still loved him despite his poor taste in college ball!)
He loved to travel and went everywhere in his motorhome.
He is the only person I know who watched tv with the sound off.
He had 6 kids, 3 boys and 3 girls
He had 17 grandkids, 11 grandaughters and 6 grandsons
He had 9 great grandkids, 3 great grand daughters and 6 great grandsons
So many wonderful people are in this world because of this man, and we all love him deeply.
The last words he said to me were "I Love You!"
I love you too Grandpa.
In the town he grew up in, Portage, they have a wave. You just raise your palm straight up and down. At every reunion we gave the Portage wave to everyone to say goodbye.
Here is a big Portage wave to you Grandpa...

1 comment:

Mike and Melissa Farr said...

Mel, I'm so sorry to hear this! I had no idea. Glad he is not in anymore pain though. It's nice you got a picture with him and all the boys. I always look back at the picture of Alli and my grandpa before he died. I'm so glad he got to meet her.