Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Doctor, doctor, doctor

The second week of Oliver's life was filled with doctor appointments.
The first was his two week check up with the pediatrician. I was actually looking forward to this appointment. With my other boys they didn't make it back to their birth weight by two weeks. I was excited because I was sure that Oliver was back to his birth weight. He is the best eater! Unfortunately he lost an ounce from leaving the hospital. I was shocked. So I knew there would be more check ups and more tracking of his feedings.
Some good news of the appointment was that his testicle dropped and his penis was better so he could get circumcised by the doctor and not under anesthesia!
This appointment was also the first time I had all three boys going out in public all by myself. Lets just say it was stressful!
The second doctor's appointment (with all three again!) was with the Ear, nose, and throat doctor to check his ear. The best part was running into an old friend! The doctor and the intern were very thorough. They asked all sort of family history questions, checked his ears, nose, and roof of his mouth. Since he is so young, they said all they were going to do now was a more intense hearing test. No surgery or xrays until he is at least 6 months old! Third appointment, weight check and circumscion with his pediatrician. I only had Oliver this time! We were the first appointment of the day and the girls at the front desk were so excited to see Oliver's circ! They don't get to see circs very often. I was more worried about him gaining weight. The whole time in the waiting room he was eating! Thankfully he gained 4 ounces! weighing 6 pounds 6 ounces. Wahoo, I don't have to supplement him! Bad news of the appointment...his penis wasn't cooperating and the doctor didn't feel comfortable doing the circ. So the result of this appointment was the complete opposite of the first one...he gained weight, but now has to have surgery. Oh and the girls at the desk were sad that they couldn't watch.

No comments: